The Assistant Maintenance Supervisor functions in a support role to the Maintenance Supervisor/Manager, or leads in the absence of the Maintenance Supervisor/ Manager, by ensuring that the physical aspects of the property meet the company’s established standards and any applicable laws. This position participates in leading the on-site maintenance staff, as well as diagnosing maintenance problems for the property.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Assists supervisor with managing the on-site maintenance staff.
- Leads in diagnosing problems and repairs for the property in the areas of as HVAC, electrical, plumbing, pool, carpentry, drywalling, exterior structural, and appliances.
- Schedules, monitors, and performs preventative maintenance and apartment turns.
- Purchases maintenance supplies for the property while staying within the planned budget.
- Inspects apartments before and after move-in and move-outs, as well as after the apartment has been turned, and ensures compliance with Company Standards.
- Responds promptly and accurately to work order requests from residents, as well as delegates work orders to maintenance staff.
- Performs property inspections on a regular basis in order to maintain cleanliness as well as to identify any problems.
- Obtains bids from outside contractors and oversees contractor work for completeness.
- Accurately prepares and submits property invoices in accordance with established guidelines and deadlines.
- Assists supervisor with vendor selection and relations, so as to ensure quality performance.
- Inspects buildings and grounds to ensure safety and cleanliness, and alerts Maintenance to items that need to be repaired.
- Responds to on-call when scheduled.
- Ensures pool and fitness areas are inspected daily.
- Communicates with supervisor regarding the overall maintenance function of the property.
- Ensures excellent customer service to prospective and current tenants.
- Participates in Company-provided training such as fair housing, safety, non-discrimination, and harassment prevention.
- Complies with all Company National Standards, applicable health and safety rules and regulations, as well as applicable local, state, and federal laws.
Education and/or Experience
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Minimum 2 to 3 years of previous experience in property management maintenance, other building maintenance or related trade is preferred.
- Ability to read, write, understand, and communicate in English.
- Ability to use a personal computer and working knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel, as well as other computer tracking systems used at the property.
- Ability to use general office equipment, such as telephone, fax machine, printer, copier, and key/Handy track system.
- Ability to use standard maintenance equipment.
- Excellent customer service and interpersonal skills; ability to relate to others.
- Professional verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong organizational and time-management skills.
- Ability to perform basic mathematical functions.
- Comprehension of federal fair housing laws and any applicable local housing provisions.
- Current driver license and automobile insurance.
May require one or more of the following certifications:
- EPA Certification, Type I and II.
- HVAC Certification.
- CPO certification (pool).
- Other licenses and/or certifications as required by state law.
- Must maintain professional appearance and comply with prescribed uniform policy.
- Must comply with all safety regulations, including the use of back brace, safety goggles and gloves when appropriate.
- Ability to be at work on a regular and consistent basis; Overtime may be required for this position.
- Ability to work weekends and non-traditional holidays.
- Must be reachable via phone, text or email, except during approved time off.
- Must be available to work on-call or when needed due to staffing shortages.
- Some hand and power tools required.
- Standing, walking, and/or sitting for extended periods of time.
- Frequent stooping.
- Moderate hearing, talking, climbing, balancing, kneeling, crouching, reaching, lifting, use of fingers, and handling.
- Sustains substantially recurring movement to fingers, hands, wrists, legs, and feet.
- Pronounced visual acuity (near and far) and field of vision.
- Ability to judge distances and spatial relationships.
- Ability to identify and distinguish color.
- Ability to distinguish the differences or similarities in odors using nose.
- Ability to lift and/or move an excess of 50 pounds or more.
Why Work for TPS?
- Health Insurance including Dental & Vision Insurance + FSA
- 401(k) Retirement Plan with Company Match
- Life Insurance
- Long-term Disability Insurance
- Paid Time Off and Holidays
- Support employee development and professional organizational memberships
- We encourage career growth
*Tarragon Property Services will require all employees to be vaccinated against COVID-19. This requirement extends to all exempt and nonexempt employees. Proof of full COVID-19 vaccination by time of hire is a condition of employment – not a condition of applying or interviewing for jobs with TPS.*
“We’re an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.” '