The Maintenance Technician I is responsible for ensuring the physical aspects of the property are maintained by cleaning the common grounds of the property. This position is also responsible for functioning in a support role to the maintenance team.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Picks up trash on the property and in common areas, which includes but is not limited to the driveways, parking lots, curbs, trash receptacle areas, exterior/interior hallways, and any public areas.
- Ensures dumpster/compactor areas is emptied and or kept clean.
- Uses power blower and pressure washer to clean breezeways, steps, sidewalk, pool area, and any other common areas.
- Maintains the property's flowerbeds, plants and grass areas, including pool cleaning or routine pool maintenance, and removing snow.
- Walks the property several times a day and picks up new debris.
- Communicates with Maintenance Supervisor regarding the status of work and any potential issues.
- Schedules, monitors and performs work orders as needed.
- Ensures maintenance supplies are in stock and orders supplies, as directed.
- Assists office staff as needed with posting notices on resident doors.
- Performs emergency maintenance work as required.
- Ensures all work areas are neat and orderly after work orders have been completed.
- Inspects buildings and grounds to ensure safety and cleanliness, and alerts Maintenance to items that need to be repaired.
- Ensures excellent customer service to prospective residents and tenants and promotes a quality living experience for all residents.
- Participates in Company-provided training such as fair housing, safety, non-discrimination, and harassment prevention.
- Complies with all Company Standards, applicable health and safety rules and regulations, as well as applicable local, state, and federal laws.
Education and/or Experience
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Minimum of 1 year previous experience as a porter or similar function is preferred for this position.
- Ability to read, write and understand English.
- Ability to use computer-tracking systems used at the property.
- Ability to use general office equipment, such as telephone, fax machine, printer, copier, and key or Handy track system.
- Excellent customer service and interpersonal skills; ability to relate to others.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong organizational and time-management skills.
- Ability to perform basic mathematical functions.
- Comprehension of federal fair housing laws and any applicable local housing provisions.
- Ability to multi-task.
- Ability to make quick and effective decisions.
- Ability to analyze and resolve problems.
- Ability to cope with and defuse situations involving angry or difficult people.
- Ability to set and meet goals.
- Ability to consistently meet deadlines.
- Ability to maintain flexibility and creativity in a variety of situations.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- May require ability to drive an automobile.
- Current driver license and automobile insurance.
- Other licenses and/or certifications as required by state law.
- Must maintain professional appearance and comply with prescribed uniform policy.
- Must comply with all safety regulations, including the use of back brace, safety goggles and gloves when appropriate.
- Ability to be at work on a regular and consistent basis; Overtime may be required for this position.
- Ability to work weekends and non-traditional holidays.
- May be required to be reachable via phone, text or email, except during approved time off.
- May be required to be available to work on-call or when needed due to staffing shortages.
- Some travel may be required.
- Some hand and power tools required
- Standing, walking, and/or sitting for extended periods of time.
- Frequent climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, reaching, pushing, pulling, lifting, and handling.
- Moderate feeling, hearing, and smelling.
- Sustains substantially recurring movement to fingers, hands, wrists, legs, and feet.
- Pronounced visual acuity (near and far) and field of vision.
- Ability to judge distances and spatial relationships.
- Ability to identify and distinguish color.
- Ability to lift and/or move an excess of 50 pounds or more.
- Ability to use standard maintenance equipment as well as property equipment such as a trash compactor.