This position is designed to prepare individuals for a position as a Business Manager. An Assistant Business Manager will be asked to assume greater responsibilities upon learning and applying knowledge of all aspects of property management as well as displaying maturity and good judgment. The Assistant Business Manager serves as the individual responsible for the property in the absence of the Business Manager and serves as a role model to peers.
Education and Experience
- A high school diploma or equivalent is required.
- Strong knowledge of Landlord-Tenant laws in Washington State.
- Excellent written and verbal communication, organizational and leadership skills required.
- Valid drivers' license, sound driving record and auto insurance required.
- Computer literacy required. Proficiency in preparing Word documents and Excel spreadsheets in addition to property management software is preferable. Yardi experience a plus.
- A college degree or related coursework is preferred.
- Yardi Voyager software experience is a highly desired.
- Business, hospitality or property management background preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Personal Characteristics:
- Detail-oriented with a passion for organization. Ability to engage in a variety of tasks simultaneously and to consistently meet deadlines.
- Ability to work independently and have use good judgment to know when to ask for help and/or guidance.
- Ability to interact professionally with employees, tenants, owners, customers, and vendors.
- Strong written and verbal skills including ability to deliver well written reports and business correspondence. Ability to present numerical data effectively.
- Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; listens well and gets clarification when necessary.
- Changes approach or method to best fit the situation or circumstances; Able to deal with frequent change, delays or unexpected events.
- Follows instructions, responds to management direction; Takes responsibility for own actions and in completion of tasks.
- Is a team player; volunteers readily; seeks increased responsibilities; asks for assistance and offers help when needed or able.
- Ability to read, write and speak English fluently.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential job function satisfactorily. The candidate must have exceptional organizational skills and excellent attention to detail, and must have ability to prioritize workload and independently pursue projects to completion. Must be comfortable working in a fast-paced environment balancing multiple projects and tasks and possess written, verbal and interpersonal skills necessary to communicate and work effectively with management, co-workers, and clients. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Works closely with the Business Manager in learning all aspects of management including administrative and financial duties.
- Assumes responsibility for supervising staff and managing the property in the Business Manager's absence.
- Works closely with the Business Manager in developing an integral team that effectively sells the quality and professionalism of Tarragon Property Services
- Inspects property common areas, apartment units and grounds on a regular basis. Offers recommendations to supervisor and property management staff regarding improvements to the overall operation of the community.
- Familiarizes himself/herself with all aspects of maintenance.
- Understands financial and operational reporting requirements.
- Collects and posts all rent payments from both current and previous residents. Charges deposits and move-in fees.
- Makes daily community deposits in regard to rent collections and any other miscellaneous income.
- Codes and processes all community invoices. Assists in monitoring and recording paid invoices into various administrative log books. Forwards coded invoices to Business Manager for approval.
- Distributes non-payment notices to all delinquent residents and completes follow-up activity in regards to non-payment of rent or eviction proceedings.
- Maintains a general working knowledge of state laws in regard to collection of delinquent accounts.
- Inputs daily all resident information in relation to walk-in traffic, move-ins, move-outs, apartment conditions, etc. Maintains all current and previous resident files. Updates Weekly Property Reports on daily basis.
- Assists manager in ensuring that all leases and addendums are completed accurately in regards to addresses, names, rates, etc.
- Supports the overall marketing efforts and offers input and suggestions in regards to promotions, advertisements, rate increases, etc.
- Assists in various leasing activities as required.
Maintains up-to-date knowledge of market and competitive properties.
- Assists the Manager with renewals of existing residents.
- Analyzes concerns associated with apartments that are slow to lease and offers recommendations.
- Earns respect of leasing staff and maintenance team by demonstrating effective leadership and example setting.
- Assists in the handling of resident service requests and various concerns as required.
- Conducts follow-up activity as needed with new and current residents in order to establish and maintain positive resident relations.
- Represents the Company in a professional manner at all times.
- Consistently maintains a professional and courteous attitude when dealing with residents, coworkers and the general public.
- Strives to continually meet or exceed resident satisfaction.
- Analyzes and monitors the community market conditions in order to anticipate market changes or trends that could affect the profitability of the community. Reports concerns or changes to RM.
- Supports the overall marketing efforts and offers input and suggestions in regards to promotions, advertisements, etc.
- Ensure timely payment of rents and other resident charges. Pursue and collect debts from current and past tenants.
- Oversees, develops and participates in leasing programs to ensure their success.
- Monitors closing ratios of leasing associates to ensure requirements are met. Recommends additional training of leasing associates if necessary.
- Reviews, approves or rejects resident applications.
- Reviews all renewals and prepares rent increase recommendations to RM according to the operating budget and market conditions.
- Implementing residential retention and renewal programs.
- Completion of various daily, weekly, and monthly reports in a timely and accurate manner.
- Prepares and follows guidelines of the operating budget.
- Approves the payment of all invoices.
- Monitors the maintenance activities to ensure resident requests and preventive maintenance programs are being performed according to TPS- standards.
- Reports or offers recommendations for community capital improvements or repairs, the development of job specifications, contract developments, contract negotiations, etc.
Additional Duties and Responsibilities
- Attends and assists with resident social functions and activities as requested.
- Assists in creating the monthly and quarterly newsletter.
- Attends and participates in training seminars as requested.
- Run errands as necessary. May be required to drive motorized vehicle on or off property for Company business.
- Performs other duties as assigned.